Pages

Sunday 13 February 2011

A common language....I think not!

Its so funny...one of the things that made me feel sure my transition would be seamless from the UK to the U.S was the fact that we share a common language...how wrong I was!
Carrie and I have started a 'Rachel Dictionary' as there are loads of things I have said and she is like...what?!




So far we have:

  • gutted
  • wicked
  • swimming costume
  • manky
  • take the piss
  • take the mickey!
Last night I met some of her friends from college days and it was so sweet, before they came over they had been Google-ing British customs and phrases. These are some of the things they found (that apparently we all use)

  • tickety boo
  • blimey
  • rat arsed 
One of them then attempted to pretend he was British for the rest of the night but got caught out on his first attempt when he sounded more like an Aussie! So he then spent the rest of the night as Brian the Aussie. It was hilarious!!

It works the other way around too. This week I got caught out when in a meeting to go through site copy I was asked to add a 'period'....WHAT!!!

Luckily through context I worked out it meant a full stop but that has started me on my mission to investigate just how many words differ between our two great nations!

No comments:

Post a Comment