Pages

Monday 27 September 2010

Intro...

I remember years ago thinking that I could never live in America! The whole idea made me shudder! The cheesy accents, the fake charm! Well I’ve come full circle and realised it’s something I’ve been dying to do. Ever since my first visit to Chicago earlier this year, I knew this was somewhere I could live.
The last few weeks have been filled with seeing friends and saying goodbye. Although this stint will only be for 3 months, it’s really overwhelmed me how much my friends mean to me...and hopefully me to them.
It strange though, up until my trip to the airport I hadn’t felt nervous at all! I think I have had so much to think about until this point I hadn’t had a chance to stop and get nervous! However, when I said goodbye to Mum and Dad and went through security I felt really emotional and had to hold back the tears.
It was then that it dawned on me to start this blog. I want to write about my experience and hopefully pass on some key learning’s to any other Brits heading over to the States for work! So here I am leaving the bright lights of London far behind and replacing them with the windy city of Chicago!
My first wonderful experience whilst still on British soil has to have been the extreme security measures!   IT seems the staff of British Airways think I may have possibly been a threat! I must say when queuing up to board and seeing my name on a little list at the boarding gate I automatically  thought (and prayed) that this was it......my business class upgrade I’d been so desperate for! I was brutally mistaken. The little list I was on was not of a Business Class nature but that of EXTRA security checks. I had to have everything in my hand luggage pulled out and yet ANOTHER body check. I think if they had asked me to strip I would have lost it right there and then.
Oh well, I got through it and was very happy to be in the air after a 30min runway delay, plus I had booked extra leg room..little tip for you all! £50 on British Airways though so beware! I did however keep falling asleep and waking up realising I had been sleeping with my mouth wide open....embarrassment central!
And so starts my US adventure....Chicago here I am!!


No comments:

Post a Comment