Pages

Saturday 2 October 2010

What an end to my first week in Chicago!

So I’ve got through my first week and only one disaster....losing my iPhone! Well that and discovering just how amazing the shops are, and how much money I’m NOT going to save living here!
Still gutted about losing my phone! Never in my life have I lost a phone. I still think I left it in a meeting room at work but no one has handed it in! I feel that people are a bit more honest here and would have handed it in if they found it. Don’t think it’s worth the cleaner’s job to steal it either...so the only thing i can think is it fell out in the taxi. Idiot!


So what have I learned this week? Well I feel I know my way around the city a little more. It’s still strange, when you ask people where something is, they’ll say something like ‘right up on La Sal’ or just say the street name as if your meant to know what the hell they are talking about. But it does get easier.
I have been getting taxi’s to work all week but took a bus on Friday and it was great. Going forward I’ll do this every day – it’s so much cheaper ($2.25). It’s the 157 (one fiftyseven as they say) which takes me from Canal/Monroe all the way to Ohio/Michigan. Then a 5min walk...perfect! The only down side would be that Michigan is the ‘Magnificent Mile’. It will take real resistance to walk straight on and not pop into Forever 21 or any of the other amazing shops!

I also tried a different grocery store today...Trader Joes. I would say that it’s more like Waitrose or an organic store in the UK with a bit of Aldi thrown in – they don’t seem to stock a lot of names goods like well-known coffee and tea brands for example. Cost wise it’s good though and they have nice paper bags for the shopping! Jewel Osco is definitely the more functional/Tesco type store. Its good when you need things like washing powder, specific brands etc. Plus it has self serve tills which is nice.

As well as discovering Trader Joes I also managed to put away my clothes at long last and took a walk down to the Lake. It was my first real experience of that good ‘ol Chicago wind...I nearly got knocked right off my feet!! The Lake actually had huge waves! Remind me...it is a Lake isn’t it!! I then took a walk down Michigan avenue (be rude not to!)...saw a newlywed couple having their pictures taken right in the middle of the street. It was so odd I just had to take a picture. It was a little like when I was in Russia years ago and the brides used to be shot next to the monuments/sights of St Petersburg!



















The architecture down Michigan is amazing (it is throughout the city)...all the skyscrapers and slap bang in the middle sits the old water-work buildings – beautiful!







Then treated myself to some makeup and discovered Sephora and Nordstrom (being added to my list of my fave shops and therefore dangerous...must keep away!)

Perfect end to the day...I made Thai curry, sat with a glass of gorgeous red wine and watched fireworks over the Lake! I love Chicago!

The gorgeous view from my apartment!

1 comment:

  1. "It was a little like when I was in Russia years ago and the brides used to be shot next to the monuments/sights of St Petersburg!" Sounds a bit harsh. Gives a new meaning to the term - Shotgun wedding.

    ReplyDelete